Friday, March 20, 2009

The Ideas

Okay, so I approached this assignment in a SLIGHTLY different manner as I wasn't consistently at home. So, I jotted down ideas from time to time as they came to me as I thought about the word, which was cohesive.

Day 1 (3/16)
I actually didn't come up with any IDEAS on this day, but I did use "cohesive" as a sort of springboard in a stream of random thoughts. Most were negligible or wound up being the same thought I had had earlier in a different, shinier wrapping. But...here's a summation of the thoughts at the end of day 1:

Kept thinking of "bonding" between two things. Like, hands on the wall are cohesive. Image of Spider-Man's hands (the little hooks) kept popping into my head.

Two magnetic chunks coming together JUST enough to stick together. That feeling you when the magnets JUST attract each other is so otherworldly and wonderful.

Walking on the ceiling. (not dancing) Imagining the room upside-down and walking on the ceiling as if it were a floor.

Day 2 (3/17)
Once again, concrete ideas were a little sparse this day. I kept going back to the original thoughts, but did think about these for a bit:

We're really a bunch of floating atoms tethered by some force - but we're still just a bunch of cohesive atoms, which led to...

People exploding into atoms and reconfiguring.

(My cat has her head firmly shoved into my shoe, sleeping)

An inkling of an actual project did manifest this day. It wasn't overly out of my area, as I stuck to my experience in Flash, but it might be a little crazy code-wise. Basically, I thought of creating something that, when clicked, would explode into random shards that flew off in random directions. The chunks would either stick to the walls, or bounce off and eventually reform.

I felt high most of today (I was not).

Day 3 (3/18)
Another blankish sort of day. At this point I began to really think about the assignment, and I began to question the value of INTENTLY pulling inspiration from a random word. Sure, it could definitely work. In fact, it's happened to me before (investigating Jell-O turned me on to the idea of thixotropy, which served as a basis for the mechanics behind my capstone project). But for every random thing that inspires, there are millions more that don't really spark anything. Though I succeeded in keeping "cohesive" in my mind often through these days, it didn't really lead anywhere for me.

I removed the source of my power this evening.

BRAIN FLASH
Okay, right as I finished typing the above, I started thinking a little more. Cohesive expanded into coherent (can have similar meanings). From there, I went to INCOHERENT. And then I began to think that having an incoherent jumble of items attaching to other would somehow be sort of cool. I love the juxtaposition. Things that don't go together literally sticking together. A Catholic priest's collar on a puppy. M&M's hot-glued to a Porsche. And then those two amalgamations combined. A puppy wearing a priest's collar getting sick from eating the M&M's attached to the Porsche.

Now this could take many forms. Literally combining the objects with some adhesive, such as glue or tape...or maybe doing it in a form I'm used to - Flash. Perhaps create a Flash app that lets the user just stick stuff together. OR...a matching game. A matching game made for kids, but the obviously "right" answers will only generate a "WRONG!" response. The doctor doesn't go with the shot. Obviously, the doctor goes with the marmoset. Makes me think of that song "Everything You Know is Wrong". But then, is it really WRONG? Yes, we would think that a doctor and a marmoset don't go together...however, in the context of my "game" the two are a perfect pair. So...does that make it any more false...?

Ugh...mindblow!

Alright. I'm done ranting and raving. For the record, I did not tape anything to the mirror. But don't worry - the word was easily visible in the bathroom, AND...I put it on a sticky note on my computer. So...same game, different field, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment