Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yay! Presents!

In thinking about WHAT an egg is, I came up with this:

And then I thought to myself, "Way too artsy fartsy."

(Note: the last couple paragraphs weren't actually in my initial thought - you'll see why they were added in a bit)

Still, I decided to stick with this message. The original idea was to bind an egg to a mass of helium-filled balloons. The above message would be attached to said egg in the hopes that somebody would happen upon it. Sounded like a good idea. And then I thought about it. An egg, though it is light, DOES have some substantial mass - a lot of balloons would be required (the thought of hollowing out the egg entered my mind here). Also I live in Shelbyville. You go 20 miles in any direction, and you have farmland. The odds of somebody finding it would be slim. Besides, I'm not too keen on letting a dozen or so latex balloons litter the landscape and having a hapless goat potentially choke to death on it. SO...back to the drawing board.

Luckily, my stay was short. Perhaps influenced by my ever-present Super Mario Brothers item box leering at me from atop my bookshelf, a thought crept into my mind. "Hey! Everybody likes presents!" I decided then to hollow out the egg, insert a little message, and leave it in a public place. And so I began. First off, I hollowed out the egg (tip: don't stand near a solid wood kitchen table when blowing an egg, lest you lose consciousness).


Next, I whipped up the "message" to hide inside. I decided to adjust my original egg thoughts a bit, and use that. Of course, that's a beast of a message to fit in a tiny hole, so I did the next best thing - linked it.


(Bonus potential traffic!)

Once the strip of link was rolled up and placed in the egg


(The tiny dark spot is the rolled up note)


I decorated the egg a bit, both as an homage to the inspiration (a Yoshi egg/Mario Brothers thing) and as a way for the egg to stand out.


Once my little guy was good to go, with message in shell, I placed him outside in the elements.


Then I brought it back in, where it became very moody after being out in the cold.


Or maybe not. I had fun thinking of ways to use the egg, and found a lot of frustration when ideas didn't work (especially after devoting some time to preparing them). Ultimately, I think this is a fun idea that would bring a smile to somebody's face. It could be a neat little experience to create a large amount of these message-bearing eggs, scatter them about, and wait to see if anybody actually responds. We shall see...we shall see.





4 comments:

  1. What if you stuck with your original idea to bind an egg to a mass of helium-filled balloons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if someone took the message out of your egg and replaced it with one of their own without destroying the egg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what if someone managed to take offense at your egg message?

    ReplyDelete