Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bleepin' Bleep

Alright, so What the #$* Do We Know? was definitely an interesting watch...one that I'm glad I've seen.

HOWEVER, I can't say that I buy it. Much of it borders on just...guessing and frankly, making things up. I would liken it to a wonderful thought exercise - it really can exercise the mind to attempt to wrap your brain around the concepts presented, but ultimately, does it really help anybody? Perhaps somebody can get a positive message out of it (say, "change in the world starts with my thoughts" or something), and that's not too bad a thing. I just question the true value of all of this. Especially if this is something that's literally beyond our capacity to understand, why try to understand it? In fact, saying that it's not really possible for our minds to truly grasp it seems to be a bit of a cop out - if we can't grasp it, how can we really disprove it?

Anywho, like I said, I'm glad I saw this. I do really dig some of the concepts (especially the idea of infinite possibilities and splintering into alternate realities), and the idea that we never really truly TOUCH anything is pretty nifty. The movie was put together well, with nice transitions between documentary and narrative styles.

For anyone who's open-minded, I definitely recommend seeing this movie to see an alternate theory of how reality works. I just can't say that there's anything too practical about seeing the movie. Sometimes, I just think that trying to understand the WHY of absolutely everything is a lost cause - as that trio from Toronto once said "Why are we here? Because we're here - roll the bones. Why does it happen? Because it happens - roll the bones."

fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment