Monday, March 2, 2009

On Second Thought...

First off, I'm not sure if I'm on that list of uninspired final projects. Just in case, let me attempt to clarify why I want to do what I do.

First off, I spend almost all of my time for school projects creating something digitally. I very rarely get to interact with physically building something, and I want to take this opportunity to do that. For once, my final project of the semester isn't necessarily going to be boiled down to a bunch of 1's and 0's that can be dropped off on a server somewheres.

Secondly, why video games? I love video games. They have been a source of inspiration on many levels. They have the potential to be a wonderful medium to tell a story. Video game music inspires me to seek alternate avenues of music. And on and on...but one thing about a video game is that (aside from the cartridge or disc), there's really nothing physically to it. I figure if I can be inspired by something that I can't really touch, how will my thoughts on that change if I actually CAN touch a part of it (or at least a representation of that object)?

Someone could argue that there's all sorts of video game-related merch out there, and they'd be right. But that's generally limited to specific character-based objects. You see scores of Pokemon plushies, Mario figures, and Sonic-emblazoned shirts. But what about the little objects you may take for granted in a video game? Have you ever seen a physical representation of a Sonic the Hedgehog item monitor?
Have you seen this? Huh? Have you?

That brings me to another point of concern. The actual object I am going to whip up. Originally I was completely sold on mussing about an actual computer monitor to create the above object. I'd hollow it out, and possibly replace the inside with a spinning platform showing off an item representing the goodie inside. HOWEVER, I've been doing some research. Apparently CRTs are vacuum-sealed (or possibly pressurized with gas in some cases) and a slight error in dismantling one could cause it to explode and leak all sorts wonderfully poisonous vapors into the air. As an added bonus, capacitors within a monitor can hold a charge for months and months after being unplugged. Contact with one of these bits can result in a discharge that can severely hurt you or possibly cause instant death. So, I'm thinking the monitor (at least the originally conceived route) is out. I still want to go ahead with this project using a different video game object, but I'm willing to scrap the idea if I can't think of another good item to create.

SO...anybody have anything they'd love to see?

4 comments:

  1. I would love to see you do something that absolutely consumes you and your are just bursting to do... Not much, in other words! :-) (and you tend to be a fairly inspired person already but you sometimes hide yourself in this class...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "SO...anybody have anything they'd love to see?"

    Companion Cube. Or is that too cliche already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if you made an exact replica of Zombie Paper from the game Earthbound?

    ReplyDelete